Senior Mechanical Engineer
What’s Cool About This Job:
At Whooshh Innovations, we are passionate about creating technology designed to help the planet. Our fish passage systems are a new and improved form of passage, implementing AI technology designed to revolutionize the industry. The work we're doing in the Clean-Tech sector will make a fundamental difference for our planet, and we are looking to grow our team.
Whether in our R&D facilities or out in the field, you will work alongside highly competent, progressive-thinking colleagues focused on providing better solutions for fish passage and transport challenges. Our team members are motivated, creative self-starters that are building equity in a significant global enterprise…and having a great time doing so!
We’re looking for: A Senior Mechanical Engineer to help lead teams in creating our new, exciting technology. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will advance our technical architecture, perform design engineering, and provide technology leadership and mentorship for our innovative engineering and design team.
You will bring: Your technical leadership to provide guidance to a bright team of creators while at the same time conducting senior individual-contributor work, implementing and driving design plans, and leading development processes directly and by example.
· Provide technical leadership and direction, and guide and contribute to the architecture development and integration of technology for mechanical, electrical and automation aspects of Whooshh products to meet the business objectives
· Design and develop core transport system components
· Conduct thermal, structural, and tolerance analyses for mechanical assemblies using hand calculations, finite element analyses and other methods
· Conduct, guide or participate in analyses for automation timing tolerances
· Conduct mechanical design, create 3D models and production drawings, and maintain design data
· Model & analyze the biological requirements and environmental elements interacting with mechanical systems using engineering fundamentals
· Perform failure analyses of components
· Effectively communicate and collaborate with other departments including Marketing & Sales, Supply Chain, R&D to achieve overall business goals
· Use project planning and tracking tools to efficiently and effectively manage work
· Contribute toward continuous improvement of design & development processes
· Interface with machine shops, fabricators, suppliers to ensure final designs can be produced in accordance with overall business goals
· Some travel required
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (masters preferred) and 10+ years of mechanical engineering or similar experience
· Experience leading and contributing to designs from concept to production
· Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals
· Senior-level knowledge of statics, fluids, fatigue and mechanics of materials
· Tolerance Analysis
· Familiarity with 3-phase power and electrical concepts around machine control electrical systems
· Basics of automation software principles
· Experience working across multiple disciplines: Mechanical Design, Manufacturing, Automation, 3 phase power systems.
· Understanding of many manufacturing processes related to industrial systems: sheet metal fabrication, CNC machining, casting, injection molding, cabling, OEM components
· Automation Experience
· Sensors, actuation, control system architecture
· Knowledge of system architecture required
· Familiarity with SCADA, Siemens, AB etc.
· Solidworks experience required
· Ability to create development plans in ambiguous and emerging market situations
· Excellent communication skills
· Automated control systems design & specification
· Soft materials/polymer design & analysis
· Industrial control system design
· Experience with panel design an asset but not required
· Matlab or JMP experience a plus
· Sheet metal manufacturing techniques
· Interest or knowledge of fish is a plus
Whooshh Innovations is a Seattle-based emerging growth company focused on utilizing technology and data to restore our waterways and protect our fisheries. Whooshh is revolutionizing fish passage, fish handling, invasive species identification and seafood processing through our proprietary technology—identifying and moving fish more cost-effectively, reliably, and gently. Here at Whooshh, we know that technology can accelerate the restoration of our fisheries for future generations while assuring a cleaner planet today.