Senior Mechanical Engineer
Whooshh Innovations is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to advance our technical architecture and provide technology leadership for our innovative engineering and design team.
The senior mechanical engineer will work alongside highly competent, progressive thinking colleagues focused on providing better solutions for fish passage and transport challenges. Our culture is passionate about helping the world save the water and feed the planet. Our team members are motivated, creative self-starters that are building a significant enterprise and having a great time doing so!
This person is expected to provide technical leadership and direction while conducting senior individual-contributor work. It is expected that the senior mechanical engineer will implement and drive design plans and lead development processes directly and by example.
- Guide the architecture development and integration of technology for mechanical, electrical and automation aspects of Whooshh products to meet the business objectives, and set the technical leadership direction
- Design and develop core transport system components
- Conduct thermal, structural, and tolerance analyses for mechanical assemblies using hand calculations, finite element analysis and other methods
- Conduct and/or guide Automation analysis for timing tolerances
- Conduct mechanical design, create 3D models and production drawings and maintain design data
- Model & analyze the biological requirements and environmental elements interacting with mechanical systems using engineering fundamentals
- Perform failure analyses of components
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other departments including Marketing & Sales, Supply Chain, R&D to achieve overall business goals
- Use project planning and tracking tools to efficiently and effectively manage work
- Contribute toward continuous improvement of design & development processes
- Interface with machine shops, fabricators, suppliers to ensure final designs can be produced in accordance with overall business goals
- Some travel required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (masters preferred) and 10+ years of mechanical engineering or similar experience
- Experience leading and contributing to designs from concept to production
- Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Senior-level knowledge of statics, fluids, fatigue, mechanics of materials
- Familiarity with 3-phase power and electrical concepts around machine control electrical systems
- Basics of automation software principles
- Experience working across multiple disciplines: Mechanical Design, Manufacturing, Automation, 3 phase power systems.
- Understanding of many manufacturing processes related to industrial systems: sheet metal fabrication, CNC machining, casting, injection molding, cabling, OEM components
- Automation Experience
- Sensors, actuation, control system architecture
- Knowledge of system architecture required
- Experience with panel design an asset but not required
- Familiarity with SCADA, Siemens, AB etc.
- Tolerance Analysis
- Solidworks experience required
- Ability to create development plans in ambiguous and emerging market situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Automated control systems design & specification
- Soft materials/polymer design & analysis
- Industrial control system design
- Matlab or JMP experience a plus
- Sheet metal manufacturing techniques
- Interest or knowledge of fish is a plus
Whooshh Innovations is a Seattle-based emerging growth company focused on utilizing technology and data to restore our waterways and protect our fisheries. Whooshh is revolutionizing fish passage, fish handling, invasive species identification and seafood processing through our proprietary technology—identifying and moving fish more cost-effectively, reliably, and gently. Here at Whooshh, we know that technology can accelerate the restoration of our fisheries for future generations while assuring a cleaner planet today.